Squamish Physiotherapy Specializing in Pelvic Health & Chronic Pain

The two most common pelvic floor dysfunctions in the pediatric population are bedwetting and issues with normal bowel and bladder function (dysfunctional elimination syndrome). Glow Physiotherapy offers specialty treatment of children with day or nighttime incontinence, fecal incontinence, and dysfunctional voiding habits.

Bladder issues during the day are more common in girls than boys, but boys tend to have more issues with nighttime bladder control. By age 5, over 90% of children have daytime bladder control (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases). For the remaining 10%, the “wait and see” approach is not good enough when there are treatment options available through Pelvic Floor Physiotherapy.

When children experience unaddressed pelvic health issues, it causes stress for the child and family and can lead to specific psychological behaviours. Since pediatric bladder and bowel dysfunction can persist into adulthood, it is very important to address them now. Glow offers Pediatric Pelvic Floor Physiotherapy to improve the lives of children by addressing current symptoms and preventing lasting issues.

As many as 30% of 4 year olds experience bedwetting, another pediatric issue with significant negative quality of life impact for children and their caregivers. Having incontinence leads to significant stress and anxiety for children (Thibodeau et al., 2013). Another factor that contributes to urinary leakage or urgency is bowel dysfunction, the most common of which is constipation (Constipation in Children, 2013).

Glow Physio offers a range of treatments for these sensitive issues, including Real Time Ultrasound. This is a non-invasive option that allows for the external assessment Pelvic Floor function and helps children to learn how to properly activate their muscles.

Causes of daytime wetting may include:

  • Forgetting to go to the washroom due to being very involved in play
  • Holding on too long
  • Overactive bladder
  • Incomplete emptying of the bladder
  • Urinary tract infections
  • Poor sensory awareness of the need to go to the washroom
  • Phobias of using public or school toilets
  • Poor bladder habits
  • Constipation

Day wetting is NOT caused by:

  • Laziness
  • Attention seeking

Management of daytime wetting conditions may include:

  • Taking a medical history and evaluating your child’s current health, including diet and fluid intake, and any other factors that could affect bladder and bowel function
  • A discussion of your child’s exercise levels
  • A physical assessment of pelvic floor function, strength and endurance. Please note: internal assessments are not conducted on children. Real-Time Ultrasound can be used.
  • Treatment may include pelvic floor muscle exercises, otherwise known as Kegel exercises, changes to lifestyle, bladder and bowel habits, avoidance of straining, sensory training and education on toileting.

Outcomes from treatment may include:

  • Improved toileting habits.
  • Improved symptom management
  • Improved incontinence, urgency, or emptying
  • Improved self confidence
Talk To A Pelvic Health Physiotherapist

Click this button above to book a free call to get helpful advice tailored to your child’s specific situation. There is no charge for the call and there is no obligation to book any appointments after the call. Our goal is to help you make the right decision about what to do for your child’s pelvic health.

This consultation is offered to people who are unsure about Pelvic Health Physiotherapy. They may want to make sure we are a good fit before they book an appointment. If this sounds like you, please start with a complimentary call so that we can discuss your child’s specific situation, without any commitment on your part.